Pages

Thursday 19 January 2012

Just Because...

Sometimes I get the urge to sew, but just can't face templates, patterns or instructions! Yesterday was one of those days. It was cold and wet outside, and I often feel more creative when the view outside calls for wrapping up and staying in. But, I just didn't feel like tackling a mammoth sewing project that would take up hours before I could enjoy the fruits of my labour. I wanted to indulge in some silly, uncomplicated playtime! So, I reached for the fabric scraps box, and decided to make a little garland to grace our photo wall, which I'd love to share with you once it's finished! Inspired by the very lovely Tif over at http://www.dottieangel.blogspot.com  I set to work and this is what I made.
Teeny-tiny garland


































                           
Now, what I loved about this little project was the freedom in creating it. There are no rules. You can use small bits of left-over fabric, lace, ribbon, buttons or any other embellishments you like. I simply cut little rectangles with pinking shears, sewed a little decorative seam around the edges, added lace and decorative accents, and then attached them to some string. You can add as much or as little as you like, and you can make it as big or as small as you like. And voila! A little bit of fun to brighten up a dreary spot! I think this is the first of many I'll be making. Just think, you could use the kiddies' old clothes to sew into a little keepsakes. Or, I think  mini-garlands would look lovely hanging on the back of chairs at parties, maybe a wedding or my favourite reason of all: JUST BECAUSE....



I hope you'll have a go at creating some of your own, and if you do, I would love to hear from you. Happy sewing!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, love this idea! I'd love to try something like this for my classroom windows. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shey! I think that is a jolly good idea! With your sewing skills you can make something truly charming for your classroom! Would love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute idea for a pick-me-up. :)

    ReplyDelete

Stay a while...Would love to hear from you!